G & J Lines produced rocking horses, 'gallopers and ostriches' for fairground rides ie like the Savages fairgrounds rides, life size dummy horses for tailors and saddles, horses' heads for pubs and shops, tricycle horses, stool horses, pole horses, horse and carts and other large wooden toys.
Earlier models of wheeled toys had wooden wheels, later models had metal wheels made in Birmingham.
In 1914, the five ramshackles and scattered workshops occupied by G & J Lines were replaced by one large factory at Tottenham. Mr. G Lines' three younger sons set up their own factory in the Old Kent Road in 1919. Their trade name Triangtois and later Triang dates from 1927.
To recognise a lines horse they generally have more flared nostrils and sometimes a breast plate can be found.
They can have rounded runners, turned pillars and can also be identified by their brackets which has markings on.
Early G& J Lines horses are just as sought after and collectible as FH Ayres and most collectors strive to have both in their collections.
Pics show early lines horse with original paint this particular horse has a badge to depict it was made during the reign of Queen Victoria (the plaque shows her photo), the next is a fully restored G & J Lines extra carved and then we have a little Lines sportiboy (later) and lines brackets.